Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Microsoft Heros 2008 Launch Event


Today I attended Microsoft's launch event for Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and Visual Studio 2008 held at Georgia's International Convention Center in College Park. This event was completely sold out with thousands in attendance. It makes me realize just how large and dominant Microsoft really is. The keynote kicked things off in the morning. Followed up by breakout sessions on all three of the new products. I was excited to find the giveaway was free production copies of Windows Server 2008, Vista Ulitimate, and Visual Studio 2008...very cool. I also snagged a free video training DVD for Windows Server 2008 that should help me through the install. The big news on Windows Server 2008 is virtualization and a smaller attack surface...and built-in support for PHP...I suppose to make it easier to migrate from Linux to Windows. Visual Studio just keeps getting better...IMHO the best IDE on the market. (I've even heard James Gosling, father of Java, practically say this before). One nice new feature of 2008 is a split window when editing pages so the rendered view is available in one window while code is seen in the other. Now to see if Windows Server 2008 will even install on my old Dell (pre 2003) servers *sigh*

1 comment:

Tim Wilson said...

Hey - just found your blog from your twitter account. I was at this event as well as the Code Camp. Hey there are other geeks following me out there... :)